Fixing Minor Scratches on Your Acura Vehicle
We all want our Acura to look as good as the day we bought it, but at some point it will probably receive a scratch. Whether it is from accidentally scraping the garage-door frame when backing out, or you were the victim of some jerk’s key at a high school football game, a scratch on your Acura is not pretty. Luckily, fixing minor scratches on your Acura is easy when you follow these tips!
- Clear coat scratches are usually thin, shallow, and white in color. While unsightly, the base paint is still intact and makes for an easy fix:
- Give your Acura a bath and let it dry.
- To prevent ruining trimmings that are close to the scratch, cover them up with tape.
- Using a polishing compound, which can be purchased from any car parts store, dab a small amount of it to the included pad or microfiber cloth.
- Carefully polish the scratch area using slow strokes.
- Buff the polished area with a clean cloth.
- Repeat polishing and buffing as necessary.
How to Repair a Base Coat Scratch
For this type of scratch, which has actually damaged your Acura model’s paint job, you will need to purchase some car paint. This can usually be found at a car parts store or at the service department at Acura of Salem. Use your model’s VIN number to find the matching color.
- As you would repairing a clear coat scratch, make sure your Acura is clean and dry.
- If necessary, add a coat of primer. Try your best to keep it (along with the paint) only on the scratch.
- Add one coat of paint and let it dry overnight.
- Using a spray bottle with water, wet sandpaper (600 or 1000-grit should work just fine) and a sponge, slowly and carefully sand down the extra paint until the new paint is flush with the rest of the vehicle.
- Wash away sand debris.
- Paint, dry, and wet-sand as necessary until satisfaction.
- After a final washdown, add a coat of polishing compound and buff as needed.
Come to the Acura of Salem Service Department!
If you need an extra hand with repairing scratches on your Acura, come to our service department, where our professionals will be happy to help you out! Feel free to contact us with any questions or to schedule a service appointment!